Wednesday 28 May 2014

My new addiction



      I love having a bowl of fresh berries and plain thick yogurt, or any fresh fruit peeled and chopped.
It's a great dessert, a quick breakfast or an evening snack.
But when I do my spring detox diet* I cut out any dairy products and this leaves me missing my yogurt.
In the past I had tried all the other dairy free yogurt options but was left unsatisfied for many reasons.
Most of them were sweetened with fruit juice and I don't like sweetened yogurt. I like the natural sweetness of fresh fruit mixed with it. I didn't like the consistency either.
I decided to try cashew cream and now I'm hooked. I can make it myself and as thick or thin as I like.
Here's a simple recipe to try at home

Cashew Cream
1 cup raw cashews  (soak in  hot boiled water 2 hrs.)
1/4 -1/2 cup of  water
1 Tbsp Maple syrup or more if desired
1/2 tsp vanilla - or to taste
pinch of sea salt

Drain the cashews and put everything in a high speed blender. Start with 1/4 cup of water and add more to desired thickness. Remember the more maple syrup you add will make it thinner so balance this with the water ratio.
If you make it sweeter  and substitute water with your favorite milk alternative ( almond, soy, hemp) you can use it as a pudding or a richer creamier topping. Store in the fridge for later use.

If you are using yogurt for intestinal bacterial health and decide to go vegan long term then you will need to find alternatives like miso or supplements.

Raw cashews are nutritious and known for their heart healthy properties, they have a high magnesium content which helps to relax muscles. They are also known for their mood enhancing properties.
Check out all the goodness of cashews yourself and all the interesting ways of using cashew cream in your diet. Let me know what you think.


*Detox  - I use Wild Rose Herbal D-Tox.   100% Canadian made

No comments:

Post a Comment